Friday, September 7, 2012

Way to go RYDER!!!

I have lots of updates as I haven't posted in a while but they can wait! I am so excited I cant stand myself! So extremely proud of our little man!!!

link to book here
I'll start off by saying the last couple weeks my main focus has been on balance and finding new fun games for Ryder to play that will work on this area. I get all my home exercises from a book my mom bought me when Ryder was first diagnosed with CP. It has always been an awesome resource but I don't think I have ever seen results like this, in such a short time! Everyday we have been playing these 3 little games to work on balance. Ryder loves them and actually asks to play each one all on his own. The first we play "Bad Guy" he sits on a foot stool and Tyler or I will pretend to be the bad guy and knock him over. He has to use his core strength to stop himself from falling down. He laughs the whole time. Another "Cars" he sits on the same stool and has to bend down pick up a car, pull himself back up, then he reaches over to drop it in a bucket. He'll do this one for a LONG time - again loves it. The last one "Engine's" sitting on the same stool we hold up a train above his head and he has to reach up with both hands and grab it. This one sound fairly easy but it's a lot of work for him to not lose his balance while reaching up like that.



Not sure if it is just these games on their own as we have also started to use a stander for an hour everyday to help stretch his hamstrings. And we also bought him a new walker that is a light frame like his Kaye walker but has four wheels. It does require more control so I'm sure all of the above are factors in doing this today....


Ready to cry? haha Well maybe you wont but I sure did! 





Last time I tried these canes with Ryder he could only take a few steps then would fall. I gave up on them for a while because I thought I was just getting way too ahead of him. I pulled them out again a few weeks ago and put a harness on him but it was the same thing he would take a step then just rely on the harness and he was ALL over the place. Today I decided to take the harness off and let him show me what he could really do knowing that he had nothing but himself to rely on. Of course I stayed behind to catch if needed (this being why the video kinda sucks and you cant really see how far he actually travels.) When I get an extra set of hands I'll take another from the front :)  But wow! WAY TO GO RYDER!!!!!!!

More updates to come shortly :)

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! Way to go Ryder! He did all the work, but had the best support system to get him their! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete